Community Information Update 1: National Shutdown Planned for the 20th March 2023
The CSO is closely monitoring reports of a national shutdown planned for the 20th of March 2023 and has plans in place for a variety of scenarios. We are liaising with the authorities and other role-players in the security industry to determine the possible effects on our community.
Media reports indicate that SAFTU and the PAC will join the EFF’s national shutdown, but whether this will materialise into widespread protest action is not yet known. It is however better to be aware and prepared for a range of possibilities.
Our advice to the community is as follows:
- There is no need for panic.
- It is critical that you do NOT share unverified information or social media posts.
- If you experience or hear of any possible mass gatherings or protest actions in or near our community, contact the CSO control room immediately.
- If you do need to go out, stay in areas that you know well.
- Establish if the area you are going to and the route you will be taking is safe. Even if it usually is, this may not be the case any longer – so check first.
- If you do arrive at an area which seems to be problematic, don’t take chances and leave immediately.
- If you do end up being caught in a protest, remain calm and do not draw any attention to yourself. Work towards deescalating the situation and get away as quickly as possible. If you cannot get away, find a safe place to shelter.
We are working closely with the authorities and other security companies to ensure the safety of the community, but it is important to remember that security is a collective effort, so we urge everyone to act responsibly, remain vigilant and report any concerns or incidents to the CSO control room immediately.
We will continue to monitor the environment and update you as appropriate.
FOR ANY EMERGENCY, SUSPICIOUS ACTIVITY OR POTENTIAL THREATS SPECIFICALLY RELATED TO THE JEWISH COMMUNITY OR JEWISH INSTALLATIONS, CONTACT THE CSO ON 086 18 000 18