Community Information Update 2: National Shutdown Planned for the 20th March 2023
The CSO continues to closely monitor the situation and is in constant contact with the authorities and other stakeholders in and around our community.
The South African Police Services, Community Police Forums and the private security sector are cooperating closely to ensure that the community is kept safe and that any flare-ups are quickly and effectively dealt with.
As outlined in our first communication, the CSO’s advice to the community is as follows:
- There is no need for panic.
- It is critical that you do NOT share unverified information or social media posts.
- If you experience or hear of any possible mass gatherings or protest actions in or near our community, contact the CSO control room immediately.
- If you decide to go out, stay in areas that you know well.
- Establish if your destination and the route you will be taking is safe. Even if it usually is, this may not be the case any longer – so check first.
- If you arrive at an area which seems to be problematic, don’t take chances and leave immediately.
- If you are caught in a protest, remain calm and do not draw any attention to yourself. Work towards deescalating the situation and get away as quickly as possible. If you cannot get away, find a safe place to shelter.
- Monitor reputable news and media sources. Stay informed.
- Ensure you have enough food, water and medication on hand in the unlikely event that it becomes difficult to move around on Monday the 20th March 2023.
- Should you notice a pile of tyres stacked on the side of the road, or any other out of place items or people, please report this to the CSO immediately.
We continue to work closely with the authorities and other security companies to ensure the safety of the community, but once again, it is important to remember that security is a collective effort. We urge everyone to act responsibly, remain vigilant and report any concerns or incidents to the CSO control room immediately.
We will continue to monitor the environment and update you as appropriate.
FOR ANY EMERGENCY, SUSPICIOUS ACTIVITY OR POTENTIAL THREATS SPECIFICALLY RELATED TO THE JEWISH COMMUNITY OR JEWISH INSTALLATIONS, CONTACT THE CSO ON 086 18 000 18